Table of Contents
This tracks Apple’s major movement and announcements in 2024. To view Apple’s movements in 2023, click here.
- Apple updates their most popular laptop. The MacBook Air now is equipped with M3 processor. No word on the Mac Mini upgrade yet. - Apple
- Arstechnica reported that all the top 7 best-selling smartphones globally are iPhones. Every iPhones that Apple currently sells, except for the iPhone SE, made it to the top 7 list - Arstechnica
- Apple begins to capture live events like NBA’s Slam Bunk content using 3D camera. Most likely for Vision Pro content.
- Apple longest serving industrial designer leaves Apple
NEW: Apple’s longest-serving industrial designer and holder of most patents, who joined the company in 1992 alongside Jony Ive, is leaving, almost completing a total exodus of the company’s vaunted design team formed under Ive. https://t.co/VioFyBLVuF— Mark Gurman (@markgurman) February 13, 2024
- The Superbowl 2024 Half-time is provided by Apple Music
- iTunes (which was long discontinued in macOS) will have some it’s functions in Windows shifted to dedicated apps. iCloud, Music, TV and devices are now introduced through the Windows Store. iTunes still manages podcasts and audiobooks. - Arstechnica
- Apple Q1 2024 financial result is out. Apple made $119.6 billion in revenue and made a net income of $33.9 billion. iPhone and Services sales is up while other categories are pretty much flat - Apple
- Tim Cook spent some time at Apple Store Fifth Avenue in New York City to launch the Vision Pro
What a thrilling morning celebrating the launch of Apple Vision Pro at Apple Fifth Avenue! The era of spatial computing has arrived! pic.twitter.com/SORkEO87d6— Tim Cook (@tim_cook) February 2, 2024
- Apple appears in Vanity Fair discussing Vision Pro. This is the first known photograph of Tim Cook wearing Vision Pro. - Vanity Fair
- Vision Pro reviews are trickling in
- Joanna Stern - WSJ
- The Verge
- MKBHD - unboxing
- iJustine - unboxing and review
- As the Vision Pro is nearing market release, Apple drops new ad spots for the headset entitled “Hello Vision Pro”. And just like the iMac, the Vision Pro is use in the kitchen.
- Apple scores a record 13 Academy Award nomination with Killers of the Flower Moon earning 10 nominations including Best Picture, Best Actress, and Best Director. Napoleon earns 3 nominations for Best Costume Design, Best Production Design, and Best Visual Effects - Apple
- Apple announced that there will be future changes on the iOS, Safari & App Store to comply with European Union Digital Markets Act (DMA). Changes includes new options for processing payments & app download. Apple caution that such moves opens new vectors for fraud, scams, privacy and security threats. - Apple Press release / Apple Developer
- On 24th January 1984, Apple shipped the first Macintosh. We celebrate the 40th anniversary of the Macintosh, arguably the computer that defines Apple.
Mac changed everything when it was introduced 40 years ago, and through the years it has done so again and again and again. Today’s Mac lineup is the best in the history of the personal computer, and it’s built on decades of revolutionary innovation. Happy birthday Mac! pic.twitter.com/px6QII8rX0— Tim Cook (@tim_cook) January 24, 2024
- Ming-Chi Kuo, supply chain analyst, estimated that Apple sold 160k to 180k Vision Pro for the US launch. Although the number is impressive for a $3,500 product, he cautioned that the demand for the product has not risen unlike the iPhone. With an estimate user base of 1.2 billion, 0.007% of users can sold out the product at launch but the Vision Pro remains a niche product. - Medium
- Two Apple Store will be permanently closed. One of them is at the former Apple’s headquarters at One Infinity Loop. It used to be call the Company Store - MacRumours
- Pre-orders for the Vision Pro has been open and Apple drops some new info on the device
- Storage capacity is available in 256GB, 512GB or 1TB
- The display has a refresh rate of 90Hz, 96Hz or 100Hz. AirPlay is supported.
- The M2 chip has 16GB of memory which isn’t customizable nor upgradable.
- The R1 chip has 256GB/s of memory bandwidth and 12ms of photo-to-photo latency.
- Optic ID is the new FaceID.
- The box has the Vision Pro, a cover, light seal cushion, dual loop band, battery, $20 polishing cloth, 30W USB-C power adapter and a 1.5m USB-c charging cable. Which is quite a lot of stuff for an Apple product.
- Apple released a guided tour to get you aquintained with spatial computing in general and Vision Pro in particular. - Apple
- Other accessories of Vision Pro is also available
- Apple begin selling Apple Watch 9 and Apple Watch Ultra 2 without the oxygen blood sensor because of a patent dispute with Masimo Inc. - arstechnica
- Apple installed new cabinets in their stores to help demo the Vision Pro.
- Apple shared a video on the Vision Pro manufacturing. Say what you say about Vision Pro, the manufacturing process is mesmerizing.
- As the Vision Pro launch is imminent, there are news about app developers snubbing the platform. Spotify, Youtube and Netflix are not allowing the iPadOS version run in visionOS. And the 46 most popular apps in the App Store, none of them have visionOS native app - The Verge
- Apple Vision Pro reviews are trickling in
- Jonna Stern of WSJ
Had my 4th demo of the Vision Pro this AM and Apple finally let us take a photo with it on.— Joanna Stern (@JoannaStern) January 16, 2024
My first three demos (1 in June, 1 in November, 1 in December) were all with the Solo Knit Band and I really felt the weight of the face computer on my face.
Today I tried the Dual… pic.twitter.com/DjyYknyme3
- The Verge: To double “tap”, you need to do the action quickly instead of holding it long, like how you would do on a mouse. The headset weight will be an issue, long term. - link
- Engadget: The headset weight feels substantial. Immersion demo was impressive. Keyboard to be desired, making a bluetooth keyboard a necessity. - link
- Jonna Stern of WSJ
- Apple ships more smartphones than Samsung for the first time ever - MacRumours
- Al Gore and James Bell to leave Apple board, Wanda Austin joining - Bloomberg
- Saori Casey, one of top executives of Apple’s finance division is leaving Apple to become CFO of Sonos. - Mark Gurman
- Apple announced that Vision Pro is available in US on February 2nd.
- On 5 January 2024, Alaska Airlines Flight 1282 was leaving Portland International Airport, Oregon for Ontario International Airport, California. 6 minutes into the flight, the aircraft, which is a Boeing 737 MAX 9 suffered a uncontrolled decompression event when one of the emergency door blew off from the plane. In that moment, an iPhone belonging to one of the passengers fly off from the aircraft at an altitude of 16,000 feet. It was found 2 days later at the side of the road with half battery left perfectly intact. - Arstechnica