Table of Contents
This tracks Apple’s major movement and announcements in 2023. To view Apple’s movements in 2022, click here.
- More pre-WWDC 2023 announcements: Apple preview new accessibility features for the next version of macOS, iPadOS and iOS which includes Personal Voice: a feature that will allow you to create a voice that sounds like you in 15 minutes, in case you are in danger of losing your voice. - Apple
- Apple announced the availablity of Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro for the iPad begining 23 May, around 2 weeks before WWDC 2023. The Logic Pro requires an iPad with A12 chip or later while Final Cut Pro requires M1 chip or later to run. The apps costs $7/month or $49/year (with 1 month free trial). - Apple
- Apple 2nd quarter results are out: Apple made $94.84 billion a slight contraction from last years’s $97.28 billion. Services continue to grow to a $20.91 billion business while products are slowing down - MacRumors / Apple
- Apple App Store is consider’s one of 18 US’s very large online platform and search engine by the European Union which subjects them to the Digital Services Act - Tech Crunch
- Epic Games loses appeal against Apple’s App Store rules - MacRumours
- Tim Cook open India’s first Apple Store in Mumbai in front of a very enthusiastic crowd.
The look on Tim Cook’s face when a customer rocks up with his “portable” Macintosh Classic at the Opening of Indias first ever Apple Store in Mumbai.— Linus (●ᴗ●) (@LinusEkenstam) April 18, 2023
- Apple announced a high-yield saving account with 4.15 percent APY, 10 times the US national average - Arstechnica
- Apple announced their first official store opening in India, Apple BKC in Mumbai and Apple Saket in India. To celebrate, they release new wallpaper to commerate. - Apple / MacRumours
- Apple annouced a $200 million expansion on their Restore Fund, which is designed to create nature-based carbon removal projects and restore “critical ecosystems”. Apple has put $200 million in the fund before - MacRumours
- Mac sales are down 40% as post-pandemic slump continues. This follows an industry-wide slowdown - Arstechnica
- A blogger found out that every modern macOS has a copy of the Bitcoin white-paper hidden in the macOS system folder - Arstechnica
- You can run this code to open the white paper in Terminal app:
open /System/Library/Image\ Capture/Devices/VirtualScanner.app/Contents/Resources/simpledoc.pdf
- You can run this code to open the white paper in Terminal app:
- Apple announced job cuts in the retail department - Bloomberg
- It is reported that Apple pause the production of M2 chip for two months due to low demand - MacRumours
- Apple announced that WWDC 2023 will be held at June 5, 2023 with online format during the week. Risking being speculative, the promo graphics does look like a fresnel lens that is usually used in VR headset - Apple
- Apple Pay Later is now available in United States to allow users to split a purchase over four payments spread over six weeks. The feature is built right in the Wallet. For this feature to work, you will need the Apple Card. - Apple
- For classical music lover, Apple launched Music Classical which give Apple One subscriber access to five million high-quality tracks - MacRumours
- Apple released a slew of software updates
- iOS 16.4 update - new emojis, Safari Web notification on iPhone and iPad, Focus support for web notifications. Support for Sony PS5 Edge DualSense Controller.
- watchOS 9.4 update - AFib history tracking, cycle tracking is now supported in more countrires.
- macOS Ventura 13.3 - Emojis and Bug fixes
- HomePod 16.4 - stability and performance improvements
- It is reported that Apple has previewed the Reality headset, which will be Apple new product in over a decade to their top 100 executives at the Steve Jobs theather. - Bloomberg
- One of the founding fathers of Intel, the company that put the Silicon in Silicon Valley, Gordon E. Moore has died at 94. As with all tech titans, Tim Cook mourns the loss one of the own
The world lost a giant in Gordon Moore, who was one of Silicon Valley’s founding fathers and a true visionary who helped pave the way for the technological revolution. All of us who followed owe him a debt of gratitude. May he rest in peace.— Tim Cook (@tim_cook) March 25, 2023
- After working since 2017, Apple finally got Apple Pay to work in South Korea. Apple faced regulatory challenges when they attempt to launch in 2017. - MacRumours
- A report by Duke University stated that the Apple Watch could help treat vaso-occlusive crises (VOCs) or Sickle Cell disease symptoms. - MacRumours
- With falling revenue, Apple expands hiring freeze and delay bonuses for some employees - MacRumours
- It’s Oscar season and Apple won one for best animated short film - The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse. The short film is available for streaming in Apple TV+. To date, Apple Original films, documentaries and series have earned 345 awards including Best Picture from Oscar for the film CODA. - Apple
- Apple added the yellow iPhone 14/iPhone 14 Plus as the mid-lifecycle refresh color.
- Apple Cloud Chief steps down, replaced by Jeff Robbin, the creator of iTunes.
Jeff Robbin, known as the creator of iTunes and a longtime engineering VP, will be taking over the responsibilities of Apple’s cloud chief. https://t.co/crtD1zF4Ug https://t.co/DLkshY5C7s— Mark Gurman (@markgurman) March 3, 2023
- Apple is closing Charlotte, North Carolina store after multiple incidents of shooting. - MacRumours
- Mark Gruman of Bloomberg reports that Apple has secret moonshot programs within the company and is expected to be close to have a no-prick glucose sensor that is slated to be put in an Apple Watch - Bloomberg
- DigiTimes reported that Apple has ordered TSMC entire 3nm production line to be use with the upcoming M3 and A18 chip that will be put into new baseline Macs and iPhone 15 Pro (or Ultra) - MacRumours
- The New York Times reports that Apple Watch latest feature which can call emergency services if the watch thinks the wearer is in an accident has too many false alarms that might cause emergency dispatch to be desensitized or misplace limited resources - New York Times
- Windows 11 is official supported on Apple Silicon by Microsoft through the latest update of Parallels, a Virtual Machine app that runs exclusively on macOS.
Microsoft is officially supporting Windows 11 on Apple M1 and M2 Macs. A new partnership with Parallels will allow Mac users to officially install Windows 11 as a VM. Details here: https://t.co/q7Ecz0PeLF— Tom Warren (@tomwarren) February 16, 2023
- Apple posted their first quarter results ending in 31-Dec-2023. Revenue is down 5 percent to $117.2 billion while net income is down to $30.0 billion. While product sales are down, Apple services increased to $20.8 billion. - Apple
- With AI chatbot race is heating up with Microsoft integrating ChatGPT with their Bing search engine & Google showcasing Bard, Apple is expected to hold their annual AI summit (for employees only) this month at the Steve Jobs theater - 9to5Mac
- Apple named its first ever Chief People Officer - Carol Surface
Apple is naming its first Chief People Officer - Carol Surface from Medtronic - and shifting over HR responsibilities from Deirdre O’Brien, its retail chief, CEO Tim Cook says in memo to employees. Surface starts at Apple in March and will report to Cook. https://t.co/GYga7eqIgN— Mark Gurman (@markgurman) February 8, 2023
- Apple is reported to test Apple Pay Later feature on their retail employees. It is reported this feature allow a purchase to be split into four installments over six weeks. - Bloomberg
- YouTube channel neo publish a video about Apple’s circle headquarters in Cupertino
- Apple release a new film that is shot on iPhone 14 Pro. This film is 30 minutes long.
- As Apple’s VP of Industrial Design Evans Hankey departs Apple later this year, Apple decided not to look for a replacement. The core industrial design team that consist of around 20 or so people will report directly to COO Jeff Williams - Fast Company
- Apple is sponsoring the Super Bowl LVII halftime show and featuring Rihanna as the star. To mark this occasion, Apple introduce exclusive content featuring Rihanna’s music in Spatial Audio, exclusively on Apple Music. - Apple
- Apple reportedly stop their development of their in-house Wi-Fi chip module. - Ming Chi Kuo @ Medium
- Apple finally start to sell the Kensington Locking Kit for the Mac Studio. Pricing is at $65 - Apple Store
- With a lower pricing, bigger screen, new temperature and humidity sensor, the HomePod is back
- In a video event, Apple launched the M2 Pro and M2 Max chips, refreshed the Mac Mini and refreshed the MacBook Pro
- The M2 Pro chip now has up to 12 CPU cores instead of 10, up to 19 GPU cores instead of 16 and supports up to 32 GB of memory
- The M2 Max chip also has 12 CPU cores instead of 10, up to 38 GPU cores instead of 32 and supports up to whopping 64 GB of memory.
- The Mac Mini now has M2 or M2 Pro chips with memory support up to 32 GB. Price for the base Mac Mini has dropped from $699 to $599. The M1 Pro version has 4 Thunderbolt 4 ports instead of 2 in the M2 version.
- The MacBook Pro has M2 Pro or M2 Max chip, Mini-LED screens, matching MagSafe 3 cables, support up to 96 GB of memory and a battery life up to 22 hours streaming movies from Apple TV Plus.
- For Martin Luther King day, Apple has updated their front page to dedicate the memory of Dr. Martin Luther King. Tim Cook also said a few words about MLK.
Dr. King said, "We must come to see that human progress never rolls in on the wheels of inevitability. It comes through the time and persistent work of dedicated individuals." Grateful to everyone carrying on the legacy of Dr. King and making a difference in their communities. pic.twitter.com/TKA0fniWVv— Tim Cook (@tim_cook) January 16, 2023
- Under his direction, Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO agree to take a paycut from his annual salary of $84 million in 2022 to $49 million in 2023. Signs of times for Apple and the US economy - The Verge
- Intel announced the Core i9-13980HX processor, which Intel claims the world’s most powerful mobile processor - Intel
- Wireless Power Consortium (WPC) has adapted Apple’s MagSafe as the new Qi2 standard - MacRumours
- Dark Sky, a weather app that Apple acquired in 2020 will cease to be in the App Store starting 1-Jan-2023. Apple has mainly implemented Dark Sky features in their own Weather app - MacRumours